With a collaborative, progressive approach to doing research, the Broad Institute had an ambitious real estate strategy to construct a new building in Kendall Square and consolidate lab operations from six facilities in Cambridge.
Fort Point Project Management was tasked with coordinating all aspects of the lab planning, relocation strategy and implementation minimizing the disruption to critical research.
Due to the effectiveness and coordination of the Fort Point Project Management team, we were able to complete the lab relocations on time and under budget, and most importantly we had happy scientists
— DAVID ERLANDSON, Senior Director, Broad Institute
Engaged eighteen months in advance of the move, Fort Point PM worked closely with the Lead Scientists and the internal real estate team to not only inventory all lab equipment and supplies required in the new labs, but to design the actual workflow within the labs.
The project team, in conjunction with IT and EH & S collaborated on the best tools for collecting and maintaining the inventory to insure real-time data was always accessible and accurate. As is typically the case with a multi-year phased project, internal reorganizations, research discoveries and new grants resulted in equipment and layout changes affecting adjacencies, utilities, and overall workflow.
Of Lab equipment required proprietary vendors
As a result of the modular design of the new labs, equipment changes leading up to the relocation were accommodated without impact to the project. Consolidating six locations into the new building and then subsequently restacking the adjacent building, impacted approximately 600 people and 3,000 pieces of lab equipment with minimal disruption to daily lab activity.
- Kirkland & Ellis LawCorporateEstablishing an international high-end law practice presence in Boston, MA
- DraftKingsAdvertising and Media, CorporateRelocating 660 sports fanatics in one weekend to their new headquarters in Boston, MA
- Temple Beth ShalomCommunityNew 3-story building addition and renovation of existing location in Needham, MA.
- Beam Therapeutics IWMS (iOffice) ImplementationLife SciencesImplementing and managing multiple iOffice modules through 2019 and 2020
- MilliporeSigmaLife SciencesOptimizing real estate over time for life science innovators at a new Center of Excellence in Burlington, MA
- GoodwinCorporateNew corporate headquarters building in the Seaport District of Boston, MA.