DraftKings is a technology company allowing sports fans to create fantasy teams across a variety of professional leagues in seven countries. After relocating their New York City and Hoboken, NJ operations from co-working facilities into their own office space, DraftKings retained Fort Point PM again to relocate Boston staff into a new headquarters.
With the goal of creating a warm and inclusive space, an aggressive schedule meant the project team had to move fast during a time when the legal state of gambling in Massachusetts was uncertain.
DraftKings selected a space in the Back Bay straddling two buildings with different systems. Blending these two spaces into one – rich in brand and culture – was a unique design challenge for this rapidly growing firm, creating permitting and approval complications.
After knocking down the adjoining wall between 222 Berkeley Street and 500 Boylston Street, creating one massive floorplate while mitigating fire rating issues, the design team created multiple space types to support operations: departmental neighborhoods, small and large conference rooms, a café, telephone rooms, open huddle spaces, a Network Operations Center (NOC), desktop support lounge, a full-service barbershop, nail salon, tv studio, and locker rooms.
Fort Point PM worked tirelessly to meet the fast-track four-month planning schedule. 25 move captains coordinated furniture, IT, and building management; and met on-site for weekly presentations to staff about what to expect each week while listening to feedback and answering questions. Welcome packets were created to support staff transition to the new space and new neighborhood, assisting them with FAQs, wayfinding, and contact information if they required additional support.
move satisfaction rating
When dealing with a project of this magnitude and an organization going through this for the first time, hiring the right people is key. I really buy into the philosophy of ‘if you hire the right people you don’t tell them how to do something, you tell them what you need done and let them amaze you with how they accomplish it’. Fort Point PM was able to deliver that for me in the utmost way. The entire team each brought a great skill set to the table, from overall project management to the amazing execution of map planning with such incredible attention to detail. It’s a true pleasure to work with partners who consistently exceed expectations and that’s what the Fort Point PM team was able to achieve with the DraftKings HQ move.
- Mack Freedman, Senior Manager, Global Real Estate at Draft Kings
During the course of design and construction, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, allowing states to determine their own sports gambling laws and paving the way for the success of firms like DraftKings.
Fort Point PM successfully relocated 660 employees and their 1,300 crates over ONE weekend from five floors at 125 Summer Street to a single floor at their new Back Bay headquarters. Due to Fort Point PM’s detailed communication and planning efforts, issues were prevented, resulting in a 99% move satisfaction rating. Due to the project’s success, DraftKings now views Fort Point PM their relocation partner on future projects.
- Karuna TherapeuticsCorporateKaruna Therapeutics is a fast-growing biotech company based in the financial district of Boston, MA.
- GrubhubCorporateFort Point provided comprehensive brand visualization services for Grubhub’s new location at 1 Center Plaza in Boston.
- Joyn Bio Lab and Office Fit-OutLife SciencesFort Point served as the Owner’s Representative on Joyn Bio’s lab and office fit-out project
- Beam Therapeutics IWMS (iOffice) ImplementationLife SciencesImplementing and managing multiple iOffice modules through 2019 and 2020
- Kirkland & Ellis LawCorporateEstablishing an international high-end law practice presence in Boston, MA
- Temple Beth ShalomCommunityNew 3-story building addition and renovation of existing location in Needham, MA.
- MilliporeSigmaLife SciencesOptimizing real estate over time for life science innovators at a new Center of Excellence in Burlington, MA
- GoodwinCorporateNew corporate headquarters building in the Seaport District of Boston, MA.
- Broad InstituteBiotechnologyResearch and development lab expansion in the heart of Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA.